Subscribe to our RSS News feed Follow safeconcerts on Twitter Follow Safeconcerts on Facebook 
You're the stars! We have thousands of crowd photos here.
We know live music would be nothing without you!
Welcome to the TicketSafe Forum   search for a website here
Protect yourself from ticket fraud, lookup the companies that you buy your tickets from in the TicketSafe Directory
have your say and leave feedback
Safe Concerts Forum > Concert Safety and Tickets > Ticket Safe Forum

Now artists are no better than touts!

4 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Mon 30th May 2011 18:22
StephV

Rating: Minor Celebrity
Topics: 3 Replies: 35

If I read one more piece about artists worrying about their fans getting ripped off I will scream!:

May 30, 2011 03:55 am | Richard Kastelein

altIn a recent, revealing story by the Milwaukee Business Journal - writer Mark Kass reveals some of the inner mechanisms of one of the world's hardest working (performing live) bands on the circuit - showing how Jon Bon Jovi, the band's CEO, has effectively pulled the reins from promoters in handling the maximisation of ticketing revenue by setting variable pricing and numerous VIP packages.  In the past year, the band has played 74 shows in 15 nations, grossing $203 million in ticket sales and $20 million in merchandise.

Bon Jovi recognized in recent years is that the secondary ticket market was making all the money from the front row tickets at the band’s shows. To keep that revenue, Bon Jovi has put together several VIP packages that include the front row seats. The band added six rows of seating close to the stage with 200 seats that are separated from the rest of the crowd. The prices for the first row tops out at about $1,500, which includes pre-show hospitality, parking and gifts, and allows fans to take home a custom Bon Jovi chair that they sat in at the show.

alt

May 30, 2011 02:23 am | Richard Kastelein

altThe Smoking Gun website uncovered one of the most ridiculous riders (agent-promoter artist stipulations) perhaps ever seen publically recently, which, interestingly, also noted that not only the first ten rows were reserved for Katy Perry to sell on the secondary ticket market - but also possibly more tickets.

While this practice is long been played out in the live music industry - where promoters make ticket inventory available for the artists to rake in money from the secondary ticket market, rarely has it been documented and so clear.

So it's not the first time we have covered this at EU Ticket News. Taylor Swift and Neil Diamond were also caught with wet paint on their hands last year.

And here's some interesting inside information on Ticketmaster promises to artists:

I had a long conversation with a promoter who told me that with regard to a show he was promoting, Ticketmaster was guaranteeing the secondary market for the act. Let me explain this to you.  A certain number of tickets are pulled from the manifest and ultimately sold on TicketsNow.  Ticketmaster guarantees a certain gross payment to the act for these tickets, far in excess of the usual payment per ticket.  If the tickets don’t sell at the predicted high prices?  Too bad for Ticketmaster.

Blame the acts for this.  Ticketmaster Is taking the heat.

May 30, 2011 02:23 am | Richard Kastelein

altThe Smoking Gun website uncovered one of the most ridiculous riders (agent-promoter artist stipulations) perhaps ever seen publically recently, which, interestingly, also noted that not only the first ten rows were reserved for Katy Perry to sell on the secondary ticket market - but also possibly more tickets.

While this practice is long been played out in the live music industry - where promoters make ticket inventory available for the artists to rake in money from the secondary ticket market, rarely has it been documented and so clear.

So it's not the first time we have covered this at EU Ticket News. Taylor Swift and Neil Diamond were also caught with wet paint on their hands last year.

Quote StephV Quote  Reply to StephV Reply
Post # 2
Top Wed 1st Jun 2011 12:29
Markland

Rating: Rock Icon
Topics: 250 Replies: 1763
Oh you mean Richard Kastelein and that reliable font of information Euticketnews, the mouthpiece for Worldticketshop, where if you post anything detrimental about the secondary market its removed?

I tend to take anything it publishes with a shovelful of salt

Quote Markland Quote  Reply to Markland Reply
Post # 3
Top Thu 2nd Jun 2011 17:45
StephV

Rating: Minor Celebrity
Topics: 3 Replies: 35
Hmmm, I would say that this guy must know SOMETHING. Can't be a complete idiot. He is the founder of a company that is predicted to be worth around 1 billion euros by 2013.

Quote StephV Quote  Reply to StephV Reply
Post # 4
Top Wed 29th Jun 2011 10:13
EUTN
View Profile
Rating: Karaoke Kid
Topics: 1 Replies: 6
I have never removed anything critical about the secondary ticket market. Sorry.

And no, I am not a billion dollar company. I actually am primarily involved in the TV industry - and EU Ticket News puts food on the table for my family. At least some... I have a startup.

I am, yes, the publisher of euticketnews.com and yes, currently, Worldticketshop does pay for it. They are a marketplace for secondary ticket brokers - EXACTLY like Seatwave, Viagogo, Stubhub, and the Ticketmaster/Live Nation Entertainment owned Getmein.

They are ALL on the game. Primary and Secondary ticketing operations.

In my opinion and in my hope actually - Artists will sell direct to fans and eventually eliminate all the clutter in between. Via eventbrite and other online sites. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber could sell all their tickets on Facebook if they wanted too.

Black Eyed Peas Use Eventbrite For NYC Gigs - Company Announces Eventbrite At The Door

How do you feel about this Markland? Before you further kick the shit out of me - and get behind the primary ticketing industry?

Live Nation Entertainment - Rapino and Azoff Make More Than 35 Million Annually
http://www.euticketnews.com/201104271190/live-nation-entertainment-rapino-and-azoff-make-more-than-35-million-annually.html

At a gut level, I oppose government legislation in this arena. Why? Because I believe events are a luxury not a right. And I think taxpayers money is better spent on politicians spending time on things that really matter - rather than populist causes of the day to satisfy one or two constituents.

No other secondary ticket companies, Seatwave, Viagogo, Getmein or what-have-you have any kind of independent reportage on their payroll. And no, they don't tell me what to write. Never have.

Olympics Ticket Scams Catch Consumers and Families of Athletes

http://www.euticketnews.com/20100228401/olympics-ticket-scams-catch-consumers-and-families-of-athletes.html

Warning to all Festival Fans: Concert Organisers Put Out Warning for Fake Tickets and Wristbands
Euticketshop.com - A Scam Website? Web Detectives Say Yes

http://www.euticketnews.com/20100306441/euticketshopcom-a-scam-website-web-detectives-say-yes.html

Hundreds of Fake Tickets at Lady Gaga concert ticket scam in Madrid

http://www.euticketnews.com/201012201018/hundreds-of-fake-tickets-at-lady-gaga-concert-ticket-scam-in-madrid.html

viagogo Research Reveals Ticket Criminals Selling Fake Tickets Reap $50 Million per Year

http://www.euticketnews.com/201106121244/viagogo-research-reveals-ticket-criminals-selling-fake-tickets-reap-50-million-per-year.html

Criminal faces jail after selling 8,000 of fake tickets for Take That

UK Police Warn of Fake Olympic Tickets

etc.

I hope this clarifies who I am, and what EUTN is. I am not looking for an internet fight Markland. You can probably pull some articles out in response. But this is my, fair enough, retort  - to seeing my name slagged online.

Quote EUTN Quote  Reply to EUTN Reply
Post # 5
Top Thu 30th Jun 2011 15:25
roseyposey

Rating: Mega Star
Topics: 11 Replies: 302
Found your comments very interesting. I tend to agree that politicians have better things to do with their time. There is already legislation in place to deal with the thieves that scam people; if only the police had more time to use their powers.

You obviously know much more about this subject than I do. Is there any reason at all why artists can't promote and sell tickets for their own concerts? They don't really need to use a middle-man, do they?

Quote roseyposey Quote  Reply to roseyposey Reply
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
There are 804 active users currently on the forum: 804 guests
Visitors Today: 46144
Most users online: 9524 on 9th December 2013

Share Safeconcerts
Dull yet neccessary disclaimer: Safeconcerts.com cannot be held liable for any loss caused as a result of the publication of information here or of your acts or omissions based on the information published here. This is an open forum and as such we welcome contributions from any companies, artists or people listed to correct any inaccuracies. Unfortunately, due to the way that information is distributed, Safeconcerts cannot make any warranty or representation as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Read our full terms and conditions of use.
Contact Us | Website Terms of Use | BACK TO TOP | Safeconcerts: Proud to be a thorn in the site of ticket touts and fraudsters
Ticket Safe Home Page The Red List: websites to avoid now The Green List: websites we recommend Suggest a site here The latest Ticket Safe News How to buy tickets safely What to do if you've been a victim of fraud Ticket Safe Forum Ticket Safe Articles About Us Media Contacts Buy Concert Tickets Safely