Subscribe to our RSS News feed Follow safeconcerts on Twitter Follow Safeconcerts on Facebook 
You're the stars! We have thousands of crowd photos here.
We know live music would be nothing without you!
Welcome to the TicketSafe Forum   search for a website here
Protect yourself from ticket fraud, lookup the companies that you buy your tickets from in the TicketSafe Directory
have your say and leave feedback
Safe Concerts Forum > Concert Safety and Tickets > Ticket Safe Forum

Buying Tickets Safely

Some simple tips to avoid losing your money permanently
9 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 10 of 10
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 10th Feb 2009 21:28
Markland

Rating: Rock Icon
Topics: 250 Replies: 1763

Since the Department of Culture, Media and Sport announced it was going to let the touts self regulate, the amount of scam ticket sites has increased ten fold

Here are some simple tips to help you stop becoming a victim of online tout fraud

1. ALWAYS pay by credit card, never by debit card. If the transaction is over 100 and you don't receive your tickets, you have a right to claim a refund from your credit card issuer under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Debit cards have no such protection. If you pay by debit card and run into trouble you will have the devils own job of getting your money back, if at all

2. Check the website out that you are considering buying tickets from carefully. Look for a UK phone number, a UK registered company name and address, a VAT number. IF a company is legitimate and has nothing to hide it will have most, if not all of these. Why would a legitimate company hide behind accomodation addresses and anonymous domain registries overseas? If the website is giving no address or an accomodation address or P.O. box number, don't touch it with a bargepole

3. Read the websites terms and conditions, if it says its not in anyway affiliated to or an official outlet, steer clear of it. Only buy from authorised sources

4. Go to the website www.who.is and type in the website name in the bar. Hit enter and it will tell you where and who the website name is registered to. Just scroll down to the part where it says "registrant". If its overseas, a PO Box address or anonymous, don't buy from it

Here is an example of a result from a www.who.is search on a scam ticket site

Registrant:
   c/o TAKETHATTOUR.NET
   P.O. Box 821650
   Vancouver, WA  98682
   US

No company name, no company number, no persons name, no real address, anonymously hosted overseas and hiding behind a PO box number

Exactly the kind of site you should NOT be buying from

5. Check for positive and negative feedback before you buy. SImply type the website name into Google, or any other search engine and search for feedback

6. NEVER buy tickets from eBay or Gumtree. They are so riddled with fake tickets, non existent tickets and cancelled tickets that its become almost impossible to find real ones! Don't be fooled by lots of positive feedback either. Con artists on eBay provide tickets for events in the near future in order to build up positive feedback. What they then do is advertise tickets for shows over three months away and don't provide them The reason is you cannot leave negative feedback on eBay after 90 days and Paypal won't take a complaint after 45 days as people stung by Royalalberthalltickets found to their cost

7. Use your common sense. If an offer looks to good to be true, it almost certainly is

8. Even if a show is sold out initially, keep checking back with the authorised sellers. Almost every show has more tickets released either nearer to the date or on the day of the gig. Don't give up!

There are plenty of other ways to check out websites, I've only listed a few in order to try and keep this simple for those who are not that used to computers, its taken me long enough to get used to one!

If you do end up as a victim of ticket tout fraud, make sure you report it to Police and Trading Standards!

If this post stops one person being ripped off, its been worth it

A big thank you to Medusa, who very kindly allows me to post about ticketing on this, her website

A very hard working, courageous person who really does go the extra mile to protect the public by hosting this site

Quote Markland Quote  Reply to Markland Reply
Post # 2
Top Wed 11th Feb 2009 11:09
gail
Rating: Karaoke Kid
Topics: 0 Replies: 3

Hi

Have been reading your remarks on this site recently after having purchased tickets for the Kings of Leon tour in june at Manchester arena.  I only got a bit suspicious after looking at your website.  Bought my tickets off ticketing Direct.net and to be honest didnot supspect anything may be dodgy.  Put it this way i bought my tickets in good faith !!  am I being Stupid????  the tickets are a present for my daughter and would be really upset if they didn't come through. 

Is there anybody out there who have good reports about ticketing direct.net  .............as realistically no-one has any hard evidence that they did not get tickets..at the moment it seems to be just heresay.

Anybody advise me ??

Appreciate replies.

thanks.

Gail

Quote gail Quote  Reply to gail Reply
Post # 3
Top Wed 11th Feb 2009 13:26
Markland

Ticketingdirect.net is a relatively recent tout site
It was formerly registered at 26 York St in Westminster along with a scam site called Coldplaylivetickets.com
That site created numerous victims of ticket fraud and was dehosted at the request of the Metropolitan Police on suspicion of fraud
As soon as that happened, Ticketingdirect moved behind an anonymous domain registry service in North America out of the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Police
From a conversation with the manager at that accomodation address it appears both websites were operated by the same individual
There have been very few victims so far and I believe this is in part due to public awareness and warnings against buying from the site
Most of the tickets it purports to sell are for shows months away, so its a matter of time before accurate figures are available

Post # 4
Top Thu 12th Feb 2009 14:23
gail

so what do I do now ?? I have contacted them and they assure me I will receive my tickets

Quote gail Quote  Reply to gail Reply
Post # 5
Top Fri 13th Feb 2009 14:15
Markland

Ask them for their company details including the name of the registered company, and a directors name
If they will not give you verifiable details I'll then give you the Fraud Unit contact details of the RCMP in Vancouver and show you how to make a formal complaint to them
They have a very proactive investigative unit there

Post # 6
Top Mon 16th Feb 2009 22:18
Scottish Security

Rating: Pop Star
Topics: 5 Replies: 64
i have to say i have no problems using gumtree to buy or sell tickets

you just have to be careful, and meet in person, no western unions etc

check holograms and the quality of the tickets

have a phone number for the person, preferably a home number, ie not mobile only

meet them at their address, ie you go to them rather than them come to you for convenience

people just need to be aware there are fraudsters, but also legitimate ppl selling tickets for other reasons
Supervisor for Stewards in Scotland covering concerts, functions and sports events

Quote Scottish Security Quote  Reply to Scottish Security Reply
Post # 7
Top Tue 17th Feb 2009 13:53
Markland

Just to let you know I am about to post a warning over fake tickets on Gumtree for next weeks Killers shows

The purchasers met face to face etc

This is the third such scam in the last 6 months on Gumtree affecting one venue that I know of

Post # 8
Top Sun 24th May 2009 17:06
satanpolaroid

Hello.  Great site, and some good advice, but I just wanted to take issue with one point here:

Quote from Markland - 10th Feb 2009 21:28 View

[...]

4. Go to the website www.who.is and type in the website name in the bar. Hit enter and it will tell you where and who the website name is registered to. Just scroll down to the part where it says "registrant". If its overseas, a PO Box address or anonymous, don't buy from it

Here is an example of a result from a www.who.is search on a scam ticket site

Registrant:
   c/o TAKETHATTOUR.NET
   P.O. Box 821650
   Vancouver, WA  98682
   US

No company name, no company number, no persons name, no real address, anonymously hosted overseas and hiding behind a PO box number

Exactly the kind of site you should NOT be buying from

By that chalk, firstcalltickets.com (aka Keith Prowse), registered in Melbourne, hosted in the US and (allegedly) inactive, and Stargreen.com, registered through Tucows and with no details as to where the registrant is located (although allegedly hosted in Manchester), should be the kind of company you'd avoid.

In fact, by that chalk, I'd be suspicious of Ticketmaster -- after all, they host their site through Akamai, who pride themselves on being able to serve you from anywhere.  Moreover, Ticketmaster have recently been shown to be just as evil as some of the scalpers (http://blog.daype.com/tips/secondary-ticket-resellers-who-is-the-boss.html -- I tried to include a web link but that didn't work for some reason.  Anyway, it's a well known story -- Ticketmaster are feeding their own secondary ticket agency, thereby ripping off the fans.  Quelle surprise).

I've been buying gig tickets for 15 years now, and would suggest that the best course of action in "buying tickets safely" is to shop around, buy from reputable agents (yes, your tips here are for the most part good ones), and be ready to buy in the on-sale when the tickets first go on sale.  If you miss out, try again later (Ticketmaster go from "sold out" to having more tickets available in the space of 5 minutes, particularly on the morning of an on-sale).

Quote satanpolaroid Quote  Reply to satanpolaroid Reply
Post # 9
Top Sun 24th May 2009 17:28
satanpolaroid
Oh, and an extra tip -- if you can, buy directly from the venue box office.  Not always an option, especially for bigger acts on bigger tours in bigger venues, but often a good way of avoiding paying the excessive booking fees that people such as Ticketmaster and See Tickets charge.

Quote satanpolaroid Quote  Reply to satanpolaroid Reply
Post # 10
Top Sun 24th May 2009 21:45
Markland

I agree with your comments on the primary ticket agents websites

There should be more information about the company on them and more transparency

Don't get me started on Ticketmaster, I do not agree with any primary agent having a foot in the "secondary market" as well

Its rank hypocrisy

The one thing most sites, especially scam sites, do not have is a VAT number

A UK VAT number not one with GB or any other letters in front of it

You can check if the number is legitimate through H.M. Revenue and Customs

With all of the stunts pulled over the past year by the secondary market, I would avoid buying from any secondary sites like the plague

140 sites have been removed from the internet by Police

Frauds by touts are now running into tens of millions of pounds in the past year

Many so called "established" tout sites are now failing to deliver tickets

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 10 of 10
 Start a new topic
There are 1015 active users currently on the forum: and 1014 guests
Visitors Today: 82085
Most users online: 9524 on 9th December 2013

Share Safeconcerts
Dull yet neccessary disclaimer: Safeconcerts.com cannot be held liable for any loss caused as a result of the publication of information here or of your acts or omissions based on the information published here. This is an open forum and as such we welcome contributions from any companies, artists or people listed to correct any inaccuracies. Unfortunately, due to the way that information is distributed, Safeconcerts cannot make any warranty or representation as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Read our full terms and conditions of use.
Contact Us | Website Terms of Use | BACK TO TOP | Safeconcerts: Proud to be a thorn in the site of ticket touts and fraudsters
Ticket Safe Home Page The Red List: websites to avoid now The Green List: websites we recommend Suggest a site here The latest Ticket Safe News How to buy tickets safely What to do if you've been a victim of fraud Ticket Safe Forum Ticket Safe Articles About Us Media Contacts Buy Concert Tickets Safely