Subscribe to our RSS News feed Follow safeconcerts on Twitter Follow Safeconcerts on Facebook 
You're the stars! We have thousands of crowd photos here.
We know live music would be nothing without you!
Welcome to the TicketSafe Forum   search for a website here
Protect yourself from ticket fraud, lookup the companies that you buy your tickets from in the TicketSafe Directory
have your say and leave feedback
Safe Concerts Forum > Concert Safety and Tickets > Ticket Safe Forum

Radiohead - Are wristbands going to stop touts or cause chaos?

45 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 20 of 46
1 2 3 > last
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 6th Mar 2012 19:05
arrgee2011

Rating: Mega Star
Topics: 7 Replies: 205

PLEASE READ: TICKET INFORMATION FOR ALL UK RADIOHEAD SHOWS

It is our goal to help to prevent, or at very least reduce secondary ticketing for Radiohead shows as much as we possibly can.
To do this we have decided to use a paperless ticketing system for the majority of our tickets in London and Manchester.
For the UK shows there are two ways of purchasing tickets:

FAN CLUB / W.A.S.T.E. PRE-SALE (Wednesday 7th March 2012) 
http://www.radiohead.com/tourdates/

Please note the following:

• 2 tickets max per transaction
  • Ticket holder names must be provided at point of purchase
  • No name changes will be made after purchase
  • Ticket holders must take their order confirmation e-mail and photo ID to the venue on the day of the show to exchange for a wristband.
  • Both members of the party must be fitted with wristbands at the same time.
  • More information with regards to collection will be posted and emailed to ticketholders nearer the time

GENERAL ONSALE - (starts Friday 9th March 2012 from 9am)
http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk

Please note the following:

• 4 tickets maximum per transaction
  • The credit card used to purchase tickets and cardholder’s photo ID, must be presented to gain entry on the night of the show
  • All members of the party must arrive at the same time
  • Once purchased, tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded.

Please see here for all other details on the Paperless Ticket system.

All ticket customers will receive very clear and detailed information as part of the ticket order confirmation so PLEASE take the time to read the information fully so there is no confusion as to what you should bring to gain entry to the shows.

Quote arrgee2011 Quote  Reply to arrgee2011 Reply
Post # 2
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 19:16
harrytheo

Topics: 7 Replies: 316
Blimey - sounds a bit like a military operation to me. Certainly takes the spontaneity out of the evening!

Most obvious drawback is that there are still no refunds for people unable to use the tickets, so with these draconian measures the only thing one can do with unusable tickets is bin them.

What happens if someone wants to buy tickets as a surprise for someone else? Or if the person attending doesn't actually own a credit card (too young, or broke maybe?) Impossible!

Quote harrytheo Quote  Reply to harrytheo Reply
Post # 3
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 19:41
arrgee2011

Quote from harrytheo - 6th Mar 2012 19:16 View
Blimey - sounds a bit like a military operation to me. Certainly takes the spontaneity out of the evening!

Most obvious drawback is that there are still no refunds for people unable to use the tickets, so with these draconian measures the only thing one can do with unusable tickets is bin them.

What happens if someone wants to buy tickets as a surprise for someone else? Or if the person attending doesn't actually own a credit card (too young, or broke maybe?) Impossible!

Will be interesting to see what happens.  I only work in Docklands, but the trouble is I travel as part of my work.  Now I may give someone I trust my credit card (a bit of problem if you lose card between now and October) but giving them my photo ID as well...  And I'd have to find someone who looked like me!

Also with everyone having to arrive together, this is a total pain.  I only have to travel one stop, so no issue for me, but with people coming from Ealing and the various problems on the underground at peak times could leave you standing outside waiting for someone.

I'll just get one ticket for this.  Others will have to fend for themselves!

Post # 4
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 20:06
harrytheo

I do think it's an admirable attempt but has it been thought through properly?

You know, there ARE people who don't have credit cards and there ARE people who don't have photo-id believe it or not. There are many, many people without either a driving licence or passport.

And what about the logistics of checking these documents on the night? How many does the O2 hold? 16,000? Can't see the gig starting on time so I wouldn't worry too much about your mates not turning up on time.

I shouldn't be too critical because as I always say - I don't know the solution to the touting problem. At least someone is having a stab at it.

Post # 5
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 21:07
arrgee2011

Quote from harrytheo - 6th Mar 2012 20:06 View
I do think it's an admirable attempt but has it been thought through properly?

You know, there ARE people who don't have credit cards and there ARE people who don't have photo-id believe it or not. There are many, many people without either a driving licence or passport.

And what about the logistics of checking these documents on the night? How many does the O2 hold? 16,000? Can't see the gig starting on time so I wouldn't worry too much about your mates not turning up on time.

I shouldn't be too critical because as I always say - I don't know the solution to the touting problem. At least someone is having a stab at it.

If it was a Saturday/Sunday night then I think this would be OK, but on a Monday/Tuesday?  Also I wouldn't really want to bring my passport along to a gig.  I carry my expired driving licence with my oyster card everywhere after a recent experience when I was expected to have a photo id, but for gigs, all I ever bring is an oystercard and some beer money, especially since my wife had her brolly consficated by Morrissey!

And my mates generally meet in town first, so I'm getting my ticket and that's all!  Only time they were early was when Black Grape didn't come on stage until midnight!

Post # 6
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 21:13
harrytheo

So, if everyone does like you and just buys one ticket per transaction doesn't that put up the revenue from transaction fees?...................there's always an angle!

And one ticket per transaction means 16,000 ids to check, 16,000 credit cards to check.........

There must be an easier way!

Post # 7
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 21:56
Markland

Rating: Rock Icon
Topics: 250 Replies: 1763
It appears that Radiohead are allowing fans to use an ethical site to resell tickets they can no longer use at face value

That solves the problem of unusable tickets

And Glastonbury doesn't seem to have a problem with a similar ticket entry control system every year

Quote Markland Quote  Reply to Markland Reply
Post # 8
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 22:48
arrgee2011

Quote from Markland - 6th Mar 2012 21:56 View
It appears that Radiohead are allowing fans to use an ethical site to resell tickets they can no longer use at face value

That's not true, see above...

Once purchased, tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded.

Post # 9
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 22:52
arrgee2011

Quote from harrytheo - 6th Mar 2012 21:13 View

And one ticket per transaction means 16,000 ids to check, 16,000 credit cards to check.........

Most people book tickets in pairs, and I believe capacity is more like 20,000 standing http://www.theo2.co.uk/corporate/music-events.html,

so that's 10,000 or so credit cards/IDs to check  It took me over half an hour to get into wireless last summer in the middle of the day. It'll be worse than Heathrow on a Monday morning,

Post # 10
Top Tue 6th Mar 2012 23:14
Markland

Quote from arrgee2011 - 6th Mar 2012 22:48 View

You should have read the news items elsewhere on the site and you would have seen this:

"An ethical band that needs no introduction – Radiohead – have decided that fan club tickets for their forthcoming UK tour will be fully exchangeable via the Ticket Trust ethical fan to fan ticket exchange. "

Post # 11
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 07:41
harrytheo

Well, that doesn't make sense.

What are we to believe - Radiohead's own website which says name changes will not be allowed, id must be brought along etc., or "a news item" which says tickets are fully exchangeable via Ticket Trust?

If they can be sold through Ticket Trust then they can be sold anywhere which kind of defeats the objective.

Post # 12
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 08:14
arrgee2011

Quote from Markland - 6th Mar 2012 23:14 View
Quote from arrgee2011 - 6th Mar 2012 22:48 View

You should have read the news items elsewhere on the site and you would have seen this:

"An ethical band that needs no introduction – Radiohead – have decided that fan club tickets for their forthcoming UK tour will be fully exchangeable via the Ticket Trust ethical fan to fan ticket exchange. "

Where was that mentioned? Have you got a link?

Post # 13
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 08:18
arrgee2011

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/promo/0pvxi6

Paperless Tickets - Terms and Conditions

Paperless events are just for the fans, so special measures are put in place to make sure that it's only fans that can get the tickets. 

Reading these details carefully will ensure you can get into the show on the night. 

1. You MUST print your confirmation email and bring it with you to the gig. 

2. You MUST also bring the SAME credit or debit card you use to buy the tickets and photo ID (such as a driving licence or passport), which matches the name on the credit or debit card used for the ticket purchase, in order to verify your purchase. 

You will not be able to enter the venue if you do not bring your credit/debit card. 

3. Paperless Tickets are 100% non-transferable. 

4. Events have a strict limit of 4 tickets per person across the tour. This limit is strictly enforced. 

5. No paper tickets are mailed out to you. To enter the venue, each original purchaser and any person accompanying them to the show must be present at the venue on the night of the show, and attending the event. There are no exceptions to this. No name changes or letters of authorisation are accepted under any circumstances. 

6. The purchase of Paperless tickets is subject to the terms and conditions of the event promoter and the standard terms and conditions and Purchase Policy of Ticketmaster (UK) Limited, accessible at www.ticketmaster.co.uk/legal/purchase.html 

If you have any questions about this process please log on to the Customer Service page on www.ticketmaster.co.uk or call us on 08444 999 999. 

Post # 14
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 09:32
harrytheo

The difference with Glastonbury is that not everyone is trying to gain entry at the same time.

Have just checked out the Ticket Trust website and they have the grand total of ONE ticket for sale from all the gigs they have listed.

Post # 15
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 10:24
Medusa
View Profile

Topics: 583 Replies: 1768
Arrgee if you looked at anything other than the forum you would have seen the news item! Link here

Harry - I would not expect to find lots of tickets for sale on The Ticket Trust if indeed it is operating as a genuine fan to fan site, genuine fans do not want to offload their tickets (certainly bot Radiohead fans!) unless they have to - so the fact there isn't much there just adds fuel to the fact that it's a genuine exchange for the purposes it's meant for.
“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

Quote Medusa Quote  Reply to Medusa Reply
Post # 16
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 10:56
arrgee2011

Quote from Medusa - 7th Mar 2012 10:24 View
Arrgee if you looked at anything other than the forum you would have seen the news item! Link here

Harry - I would not expect to find lots of tickets for sale on The Ticket Trust if indeed it is operating as a genuine fan to fan site, genuine fans do not want to offload their tickets (certainly bot Radiohead fans!) unless they have to - so the fact there isn't much there just adds fuel to the fact that it's a genuine exchange for the purposes it's meant for.

"any tickets sold via Radiohead’s w.a.s.t.e. fanclub will be exchangeable for face value via the Ticket Trust if a fan can no longer go"

But this does not cover tickets bought via ticketmaster.  All the fan club tickets are sold out.

Post # 17
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 11:01
arrgee2011

Anyway, at £65/ticket, I think I'll give it a miss and just listen to The Bends and OK Computer at home.

Post # 18
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 11:15
arrgee2011

Quote from harrytheo - 7th Mar 2012 09:32 View
The difference with Glastonbury is that not everyone is trying to gain entry at the same time.

Have just checked out the Ticket Trust website and they have the grand total of ONE ticket for sale from all the gigs they have listed.

One upside with the bands is it will probably keep the standing area below capacity.  I have been to a few gigs at Brixton where a lot of people are sneaked into the stalls from the circle by their mates.  I suspect the bands will not be removable like those the kids get when they go to funfairs, so they can't be passed on.

Post # 19
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 11:24
arrgee2011

Quote from harrytheo - 7th Mar 2012 09:32 View

Funnier still, there are a pair of tickets on sale at Viagogo (at an extortionate £350, so unlikely to sell). Obviously a speculator totally unaware of the t&c, but whoever buys them won't necessarily know about the ticketless system.  

Post # 20
Top Wed 7th Mar 2012 11:46
Markland

Quote from harrytheo - 7th Mar 2012 07:41 View
Well, that doesn't make sense.

What are we to believe - Radiohead's own website which says name changes will not be allowed, id must be brought along etc., or "a news item" which says tickets are fully exchangeable via Ticket Trust? 

Are you suggesting news items on this site are untrue?

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 20 of 46
1 2 3 > last
 Start a new topic
There are 792 active users currently on the forum: 792 guests
Visitors Today: 614
Most users online: 9524 on 9th December 2013

Share Safeconcerts
Dull yet neccessary disclaimer: Safeconcerts.com cannot be held liable for any loss caused as a result of the publication of information here or of your acts or omissions based on the information published here. This is an open forum and as such we welcome contributions from any companies, artists or people listed to correct any inaccuracies. Unfortunately, due to the way that information is distributed, Safeconcerts cannot make any warranty or representation as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Read our full terms and conditions of use.
Contact Us | Website Terms of Use | BACK TO TOP | Safeconcerts: Proud to be a thorn in the site of ticket touts and fraudsters
Ticket Safe Home Page The Red List: websites to avoid now The Green List: websites we recommend Suggest a site here The latest Ticket Safe News How to buy tickets safely What to do if you've been a victim of fraud Ticket Safe Forum Ticket Safe Articles About Us Media Contacts Buy Concert Tickets Safely