Subscribe to our RSS News feed Follow safeconcerts on Twitter Follow Safeconcerts on Facebook 
You're the stars! We have thousands of crowd photos here.
We know live music would be nothing without you!
Welcome to the TicketSafe Forum   search for a website here
Protect yourself from ticket fraud, lookup the companies that you buy your tickets from in the TicketSafe Directory
have your say and leave feedback
Safe Concerts Forum > Concert Safety and Tickets > Ticket Safe Forum

VIAGOGO SELLING OLYMPIC TICKETS ON THE SPANISH MARKET

33 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 21 to 34 of 34
< 1 2 > last
 Start a new topic
Post # 21
Top Thu 14th Jun 2012 11:16
ackerman2406

Rating: Pop Star
Topics: 1 Replies: 70

"Aristeia have written authorisation from LOCOG

viagogo do not and are breaking the law"

"So if viagogo, or any other company, without written authority from LOCOG sell or resell Olympic tickets they are breaking the law"

"viagogo are not authorised, and if they resell Olympic tickets are breaking the law"

I think we can now safely confirm that Viagogo is not, and has never claimed to be, a seller of Olympic tickets.  Therefore, the above comments from Markland are incorrect and Viagogo is not breaking any law.

Quote ackerman2406 Quote  Reply to ackerman2406 Reply
Post # 22
Top Thu 14th Jun 2012 23:09
Dusty

Rating: Rock Star
Topics: 1 Replies: 127
Soooo If I understand you all correctly, the statement made by Viagogo below is a lie?

"viagogo, Europe's largest online ticket marketplace and the Spanish Olympic Committee (COE), are today proud to announce that viagogo has become an official collaborator of COE"

OMG! "highly, highly immoral" ;-)

Quote Dusty Quote  Reply to Dusty Reply
Post # 23
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 07:39
ackerman2406

No, not a lie. They are involved with COE because Aristeia (the official Spanish re-sellers) are using Viagogo.sp's website to re-sell the tickets. It's official.

They are not selling the tickets themselves. LOCOG are aware of the setup and have no problem with it - see their email above. Where is the immorality in that?

Post # 24
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 12:01
Markland

Rating: Rock Icon
Topics: 250 Replies: 1763
We've sent a specific email to LOCOG asking about the legality of viagogos position

Four days later we have still not received a reply

However, an opinion was asked of Police who seem to think that viagogo may well be breaking the law

Considering viagogo are being looked at by a variety of agencies, including Police, its hardly any wonder they fled to Switzerland

Quote Markland Quote  Reply to Markland Reply
Post # 25
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 12:30
Dusty

Quote from ackerman2406 - 15th Jun 2012 07:39 View
No, not a lie. They are involved with COE because Aristeia (the official Spanish re-sellers) are using Viagogo.sp's website to re-sell the tickets. It's official.

They are not selling the tickets themselves. LOCOG are aware of the setup and have no problem with it - see their email above. Where is the immorality in that?

So, using your criteria, it's ok if my website developer announces he is a partner of LiveNation, Metropolis etc?

Post # 26
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 12:49
daveyboy
Rating: Karaoke Kid
Topics: 0 Replies: 4
YOU ARE JUST OUT TO PROMOTE A BAD NAME FRO ANYONE MAKING MONEY I HAVE FOLLOWED YOUR WEBSITE SET UP BY REG AND HIS CRONIES WHY DONT YOU TELL THE GENERAL PUBLIC WHEN TICKETS ARE DELIVERED RATHER THAN BRING EVERYONE DOWN WITH IMPROPER INFORMATION LETS GET IT RIGHT THIS SO CALLED MAN WITH THE KNOWLEDGE IS ONLY A GLORIFIED BUILDER WHO UP TILL A FEW YEARS AGO WAS TAKING COPYRIGHT TEE SHIRTS OFF OF UNAUTHOURISED SELLLERS AT CONCERTS AND SPORTING EVENTS
HE HAS NOW BEFRIENDED OPERATION PODIUM AND SIMILIAR AGENCIES TO BUILD HIM HIGH UP ON HIS ROSTUM THERE IS AN OLD SAYING WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN PLEASE REMEBER THIS WHEN YOU READ ABOUT THE SO CALLED NON BIAS OPINION OF A BUILDING FIRM WHO WUILL AFTER THE OLYMPICS FALL BACK INTO THEIR OLD JOBS AND TRY AND PAL UP PEOPLE THEY HAVE BEEN SPYING ON FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS AND RUNNING TO THE COPS

Quote daveyboy Quote  Reply to daveyboy Reply
Post # 27
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 13:03
Dusty

I've just realised something else. Although I was leaning heavily in favour of the dictionary definition of Collaboration=partnership, it isn't relevant in a 'business' context. After all, I could say I'm collaborating with LiveNation (because they use my services to sell tickets to customers) but I am most definately not one of their partners.
Markland is right. In a business context 'partner' has a very specific meaning.

However in this case, I gather COE have authorised Aristeia as a reseller. Aristeia have employed staff. In effect Aristeia's cleaning lady has just made an announcement on behalf of COE that she's 'collaborating' with COE.
I think that's what COE are saying. They don't care what computer system Aristeia use.
So you are both correct. It would be illegal if Viagogo sold Olympic tickets. It is not illegal for Aristeia to use their web systems and the collaboration statement is two fingers up at UK law and their ban on making false claims in advertising.

@Daveyboy YEAH TOTALLY AGREE. PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABEL TO MAKE MONEY FRO RIP OFF OTHERES WITHOUT JUMPED UP BUILDERS MESSING IT UP THE FACT ITS COPYRIGHTED MEANS YOU CAN COPY IT RIGHT?

Post # 28
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 14:02
ackerman2406

Dusty,

I don't know how sarcastic your reply above is supposed to be, but you have actually got to the heart of the matter. Viagogo.sp (or even Viagogo.uk) are NOT selling tickets for the Olympics and never have been. That was never the question as far as I was concerned - it was only Markland that seemed to think this was the case.

He wanted me to ask LOCOG if it was legal for Viagogo to sell (or resell) Olympic tickets. I think we all know the answer to that one, so why on earth would I ask that question?

As far as I know, Aristeia are at liberty to re-sell the tickets in any manner they think fit. If I was Aristeia's cleaner I think I would shout it out loud and clear that I was part of the Olympic movement too - I would be really proud.

I don't know which laws Markland thinks Viagogo are breaking in this instance. I am sure he will enlighten us.

Post # 29
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 14:53
Dusty

;-) No sarcasm. (except the copyright bit)

As for you getting to clean Aristeia's offices? I think if you were to advertise on your cleaning bucket that you were 'officially' involved with the COE, it would probably be allowed since it's only actionable as an offence if it's believable.
In Viagogo's case it was a press statement that was clearly intended to mislead consumers. (definately an offence in the UK)

Post # 30
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 17:32
ackerman2406

"Official Collaborator of the Spanish Olympic Committee
viagogo, Europe’s largest online ticket exchange, and the Spanish Olympic Committee (COE) are proud to announce that viagogo has become an official collaborator of COE.

Edward Parkinson, spokesperson for viagogo said: “We’re proud to be supporting the Spanish Olympic Movement. We have always sought to partner with the world’s leading sports organisations and bring the benefits of our unique ticketing experience. Becoming a part of the Olympic movement in Spain is a big step for our business”

Visit the Official Website"

But they ARE officially involved - and if you click onto the Official Website you are re-directed to Aristeia which in turn re-directs you to the official page selling the tickets (and hosted by Viagogo).  Isn't this all a bit pedantic?  The Games are almost over and done with.  More tickets released today by LOCOG so I shouldn't think many people need to buy from a secondary outlet anyway - not that there are many tickets for sale on it.  Have you checked it out?

BTW - I can clean with the best of them - nothing unbelievable there!

Post # 31
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 19:42
Markland

Rating: Rock Icon
Topics: 250 Replies: 1763
The whole point of this discussion from the very start was that viagogo are not authorised to sell or resell Olympic tickets

All they have done is provided a website and claimed to be part of the Olympic family

Nothing more than smoke and mirrors from a company with dubious, if not illegal, business practices

Why people tried to spin more rubbish about this issue is beyond me

viagogo are not authorised, lets face it do you really think any Olympic committee would be stupid enough o trust them with actual tickets?

Quote Markland Quote  Reply to Markland Reply
Post # 32
Top Fri 15th Jun 2012 20:57
ackerman2406

Quote from Markland - 15th Jun 2012 19:42 View
The whole point of this discussion from the very start was that viagogo are not authorised to sell or resell Olympic tickets

Er, no.  The whole point of this discussion was the fact that Markland claimed Viagogo were breaking the law by selling (or re-selling) Olympic tickets.  (See previous postings on this thread).  They are not.

Post # 33
Top Mon 13th Aug 2012 08:12
nancyhaven

Topics: 3 Replies: 160
Now the Olympics are over we can read that Operation Podium closed down at least 70 websites. Despite all Markland's protestations about Viagogo operating illegally that site is still standing and still shows the collaboration with the Spanish Olympic Committee. Interesting that he didn't keep his promise to publish the reply from his enquiry to Locog. I think we can now take it as read that Viagogo weren't doing anything against the law as far as the Olympiics were concerned.

Quote nancyhaven Quote  Reply to nancyhaven Reply
Post # 34
Top Fri 17th May 2013 23:19
nancyhaven

Topics: 3 Replies: 160

No action taken against Viagogo - which I suppose shows they were doing nothing illegal.

Quote nancyhaven Quote  Reply to nancyhaven Reply
Jump to the top of the page Posts 21 to 34 of 34
< 1 2 > last
 Start a new topic
There are 774 active users currently on the forum: 774 guests
Visitors Today: 46114
Most users online: 9524 on 9th December 2013

Share Safeconcerts
Dull yet neccessary disclaimer: Safeconcerts.com cannot be held liable for any loss caused as a result of the publication of information here or of your acts or omissions based on the information published here. This is an open forum and as such we welcome contributions from any companies, artists or people listed to correct any inaccuracies. Unfortunately, due to the way that information is distributed, Safeconcerts cannot make any warranty or representation as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Read our full terms and conditions of use.
Contact Us | Website Terms of Use | BACK TO TOP | Safeconcerts: Proud to be a thorn in the site of ticket touts and fraudsters
Ticket Safe Home Page The Red List: websites to avoid now The Green List: websites we recommend Suggest a site here The latest Ticket Safe News How to buy tickets safely What to do if you've been a victim of fraud Ticket Safe Forum Ticket Safe Articles About Us Media Contacts Buy Concert Tickets Safely