Subscribe to our RSS News feed Follow safeconcerts on Twitter Follow Safeconcerts on Facebook 
You're the stars! We have thousands of crowd photos here.
We know live music would be nothing without you!
Welcome to the TicketSafe Forum   search for a website here
Protect yourself from ticket fraud, lookup the companies that you buy your tickets from in the TicketSafe Directory
have your say and leave feedback
Safe Concerts Forum > Concert Safety and Tickets > Ticket Safe Forum

big problems with viagogo.ie coldplay london please help

20 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 20 of 21
1 2 > last
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Thu 31st May 2012 18:48
garryowenman
Rating: Karaoke Kid
Topics: 1 Replies: 0

Hi Guys.

I was wondering can anyone help.

My friend and I purchased tickets from viagogo.ie for coldplay in london on Saturday.

We recieved our tickets yesterday but they are for the wrong date Monday the 4th of June.

We have tried to contact them via facebook, twitter and there contact us section on there page.

There customer helpline is automated and we have had no luck with that either.

We have paid alot of money for flights and tickets

Does anyone know what I can do?

Quote garryowenman Quote  Reply to garryowenman Reply
Post # 2
Top Thu 31st May 2012 19:11
harrytheo

Rating: Mega Star
Topics: 7 Replies: 316
You could try calling Viagogo on 0203 1376081. I think they are open from 10.00am - 6.00pm. Hopefully that number will get you through to a human being.

Good luck!

Quote harrytheo Quote  Reply to harrytheo Reply
Post # 3
Top Thu 31st May 2012 20:06
Medusa
View Profile

Rating: Rock Icon
Topics: 583 Replies: 1766
That isn't good Garry, we have a lot of concerns about Viagogo - even more since the moved everything away from the UK.

Please let us know if you get through to them on the number Harry has given you and let us know their response to you if you do get hold of them.
“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

Quote Medusa Quote  Reply to Medusa Reply
Post # 4
Top Thu 31st May 2012 20:15
ackerman2406

Rating: Pop Star
Topics: 1 Replies: 70
The tickets would have been sent to Garry directly from the seller, so is not something Viagogo will be aware of until he manages to contact them.

Viagogo still have the same setup in the UK as they always did - they haven't moved "everything" away. They still have their offices in Morley House, and they still have the same UK staff. They were never easy to get hold of!

Quote ackerman2406 Quote  Reply to ackerman2406 Reply
Post # 5
Top Thu 31st May 2012 21:13
Medusa
View Profile

Viagogo have moved everything that matters away from the UK - especially all things legal - meaning that you are not covered by UK laws - which is not a good thing for the customer.
“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

Post # 6
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 02:46
Markland

Topics: 250 Replies: 1763
They have no UK business presence

And as for viagogo not sending out tickets, that depends on whether or not it is actually viagogo selling the tickets as was seen on Channel 4's a Dispatches "The Great Ticket Scandal

Quote Markland Quote  Reply to Markland Reply
Post # 7
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 08:15
ackerman2406

Let's not get this out of proportion.

Hopefully, Garry will be able to get hold of Viagogo and sort this out long before any legal proceedings are ever even thought of. Every company can make mistakes; let's give Viagogo a chance to correct this one.

But, if Viagogo have broken a law and someone wants them prosecuted, they still do have a large business presence in the UK, including their Customer Service department. Just because a company has their Head Office overseas it does not mean they are immune to UK law and justice.

The Channel 4 programme showed Viagogo allowing promoters to list large amounts of tickets on their site. This may be distasteful, but it's not illegal.

Post # 8
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 11:47
Medusa
View Profile

I will be very interested in feedback from Garry re this issue. I am very concerned about the move out of the UK and am concerned that the problems people experience with Viagogo are set to increase considerably.

A lot of things are not exactly illegal - but they are certainly morally bankrupt.

Post # 9
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 12:04
ackerman2406

Quote from Medusa - 1st Jun 2012 11:47 View
A lot of things are not exactly illegal - but they are certainly morally bankrupt.

Agreed

Post # 10
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 15:49
Markland

There is no business presence in the form of a limited company in the UK to prosecute

This is exactly why viagogo fled the UK in order to avoid potential prosecution under the Olympics Act

Thats before you start looking at the statutory agencies that are looking at them and the court cases they lost to the RFU

As for the Dispatches programme, wasn't viagogo buying in tickets itself and selling them on through its site as consumers?

Weren't the tickets from the promoters and their dodgy dealings also passed off the same way?

Conning the public into thinking they are being from consumers is highly likely to be illegal

Post # 11
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 16:40
ackerman2406

Quote from Markland - 1st Jun 2012 15:49 View
There is no business presence in the form of a limited company in the UK to prosecute

Anyone that has broken the law can be prosecuted - you don't need to be a limited company.  You don't need to be a company.  You don't need to reside in the UK to be prosecuted for breaking a UK law.

Post # 12
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 17:57
ackerman2406

Quote from Markland - 1st Jun 2012 15:49 View
This is exactly why viagogo fled the UK in order to avoid potential prosecution under the Olympics Act

I'm sure someone will enlighten me.  What exactly are Viagogo doing with Olympic tickets that's illegal?  They are only selling them on their Spanish site in official collaboration with the authorised reseller.  This is perfectly legal.  You can't buy them on Viagogo's UK site.

Post # 13
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 18:12
Markland

We think you should ask LOCOG if they are authorised to resell Olympic tickets

They are not, and that makes it an offence

As for your other post, individuals in the UK can be arrested and priosecuted for committing offences, however if the offences are committed by a company that is overseas, Switzerland is a long way to go and arrest people

We recommend you listen to the comments by Nick Bitel, an eminent legal practitioner who is an undisputed expert in this area, and his assessment of the impact of viagogos flight to Switzerland

It puts them beyond UK law in a great many respects

Post # 14
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 19:19
ackerman2406

I called the number on the London 2012 official site and they confirmed that Aristeia is the official re-seller of tickets in Spain and their partnership in Spain with Viagogo is totally legal. Perhaps they are doing something else that I am not aware of. They are certainly not selling tickets for the Olympics on their UK site.

Just don't understand all this talk of prosecuting Viagogo all of a sudden. When was the last time somebody had to take them to court? And why would they go to Switzerland when Viagogo have a large management team in the UK? You don't really believe they all upped sticks, packed their bags and went to live in the Alps do you? Nick Bitel is a sports lawyer - that is his area of expertise. I can't find any quotes from him on the internet dated later than 2006, so obviously there's nothing there about Viagogo going to Switzerland. Don't remember any articles written by him in any legal journals about that particular subject. Perhaps you can help me out.

Post # 15
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 21:07
Markland

You will find an interview with Nick Bitel I believe on BBC Radio 4 You and Yours a few weeks back on exactly this issue

As for viagogo being taken to court, the RFU has taken them to court successfully recently and defeated their appeals against the courts decision

As did Dispatches when viagogo tried to prevent their programme airing

I hope that assists

Aristeia are authorised resellers for Olympic tickets, they are "collaborating' with viagogo, its not a partnership, which is why they are studiously avoiding the word "partnership"

In the same BBC Radio 4 interview on You and Yours I believe one of viagogos directors admitted they are not authorised to sell Olympic tickets but I would check the podcast for that titbit

We are also led to believe that they gave their word to Operation Podium at the Metropolitan Police that they would not get involved in Olympic tickets, assurances that proved worthless

Viagogo are not authorised to resell Olympic tickets, ask LOCOG if they are I would suggest

On paper it appears they are simply providing a website for Aristeia

Funny how Aristeia, after years of trading, suddenly seems to need viagogo to provide a website for them isn't it?

What is also coincidental is that they have liquidated viagogo ltd in the UK, fled to switzerland at exactly the same time as several statutory agencies are looking into them

Funny that...............

Post # 16
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 22:01
ackerman2406

Aristeia are in collaboration with Viagogo. Why won't you accept that the word means "in partnership"? Check out the Oxford Dictionary.

Viagogo are not selling Olympic tickets on their UK website - only on their Spanish website, and in collaboration (partnership) with Aristeia. I have no idea why this partnership exists, but I presume Aristeia know what they are doing. I got the number to call from the LOCOG website. It was them that told me the partnership was legal and that they are part of the Spanish Olympic Committee through their partnership with Aristeia. They are not claiming to be official re-sellers in the UK. They display the Spanish logo on their website, not the UK one. It is legal for UK residents to buy Olympic tickets from other EU countries. I'm not going to argue with LOCOG.

I actually meant, why the talk of individuals taking Viagogo to court? I have no idea what you mean by "statutory agencies" but can assure you that if they have broken the law in the UK whoever is looking for them will easily find them in Switzerland or any other country.

Found the podcast. Basically Nick Bitel said the same as me - i.e., makes no difference where they are located they have to abide by UK laws, although I do have some sympathy with them over the RFU case. It would be easy for them to hand over the names of the sellers and I think it's quite honourable of them not to.

Post # 17
Top Fri 1st Jun 2012 22:19
ackerman2406

Quote from Markland - 1st Jun 2012 21:07 View
In the same BBC Radio 4 interview on You and Yours I believe one of viagogos directors admitted they are not authorised to sell Olympic tickets but I would check the podcast for that titbit

Listen to it again and you will hear the director of Viagogo say how proud he is that they are part of the Olympic movement.

Post # 18
Top Sat 2nd Jun 2012 16:05
Markland

"Collaborating" is not the same as a pertnership in business, which is exactly why viagogo are not calling it a partnership

If it was a partnership why not call it that?

it's because it is not

People "collaborated" with the nazis during the second world war, it did not make them partners

You should also read the Olympic Act, especially sections 31 and 41

It is an offence to sell Olympic tickets without authority anywhere in the world

And viagogo are not authorised to resell Olympic tickets and, therefore, should be reasonably suspected of breaking the law

Ask LOCOG if viagogo are authorised to resell Olympic tickets, not aristeia

You might also want to ask LOCOG if what viagogo is doing breaches the Olympic Act, and, therefore , is breaking the law

Post # 19
Top Sat 2nd Jun 2012 16:25
Medusa
View Profile

How does any of this help our original poster?

Post # 20
Top Sat 2nd Jun 2012 16:49
ackerman2406

I am guessing this will help the original poster by painting a broader picture of Viagogo.

Once again, I have been in touch with LOCOG who assure me that Aristeia are the official re-sellers for Olympic tickets in Spain and it is perfectly legal for them to re-sell them through the Viagogo Spanish website. Suggest that anyone who wants to confirm this calls LOCOG themselves as I am not prepared to pay another zillion pounds a second to speak to them yet again.

Markland, Nazi collaborators were certainly partners in crime. Please let's not argue this point. The Concise Oxford Dictionary is more knowledgable than both of us put together.
To quote:
"collaborate v.i. work in partnership. collaboration n., collaborator n"

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 20 of 21
1 2 > last
 Start a new topic
There are 558 active users currently on the forum: 558 guests
Visitors Today: 12166
Most users online: 9524 on 9th December 2013

Share Safeconcerts
Dull yet neccessary disclaimer: Safeconcerts.com cannot be held liable for any loss caused as a result of the publication of information here or of your acts or omissions based on the information published here. This is an open forum and as such we welcome contributions from any companies, artists or people listed to correct any inaccuracies. Unfortunately, due to the way that information is distributed, Safeconcerts cannot make any warranty or representation as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Read our full terms and conditions of use.
Contact Us | Website Terms of Use | BACK TO TOP | Safeconcerts: Proud to be a thorn in the site of ticket touts and fraudsters
Ticket Safe Home Page The Red List: websites to avoid now The Green List: websites we recommend Suggest a site here The latest Ticket Safe News How to buy tickets safely What to do if you've been a victim of fraud Ticket Safe Forum Ticket Safe Articles About Us Media Contacts Buy Concert Tickets Safely