All Tomorrow’s Parties announces Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Belle & Sebastian eclectic Book Club for 10th anniversary
All Tomorrow’s Parties have announced the return of their eagerly anticipated Book Club. After a very successful launch at ATP New York 2010 including appearances from authors Luc Sante (Kill All Your Darlings) and Samantha Hunt (The Invention Of Everything Else), curated by Jim Jarmusch, the ATP Book Club has been announced for all three 10th anniversary December events.
For Weekend One on December 3rd-5th, where the ATP Nightmare Before Christmas will be curated by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, the book list picked by Godspeed is as follows:
- A Book of Common Prayer - Joan Didion (Vintage Books)
- Antwerp - Roberto Bolano (W.W. Norton and Co)
- The Good Life: Sixty Years of Self Sufficent Living - Helen & Scott Nearing (Schocken Books)
- High Rise - J.G. Ballard (Harper)
- Jane Seymour's Guide to Romantic Living - Jane Seymour (Atheneum Books for Young Readers)
- Memory of Fire Trilogy - Eduardo Galeano (Da Capo Press Inc)
- Palestine - Joe Sacco (Jonathan Cape)
- Ragtime - E.L. Doctorow (Penguin)
At the Book Club for Nightmare Before Christmas they will be discussing J.G. Ballard's 'High Rise'.
For In Between Days, which takes place December 6th-9th, the curators Amos have chosen:
- Atomised - Michel Houellebecq (Heinemann)
- Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy (Picador)
- Down With Skool! A Guide to School Life for Tiny Pupils and their Parents - Geoffrey Willans (Penguin Books)
- Oryx and Crake - Margret Atwood (Bloomsbury Publishing)
- Rabbit Run (with reference to the other 3 in the series) - John Updike (Penguin Books)
- The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks (Abacus)
At the Book Club for In Between Days, Amos will be discussing Cormac McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian'.
For Weekend Two on December 10th-12th, where Belle & Sebastian return to curate Bowlie 2, the book list picked by Belle & Sebastian is as follows:
- 10 Rules of Rock - Robert Forster (ReadHowYouWant)
- The Seventeen - Bill Drummond (Beautiful Books)
- 45 - Bill Drummond (Abacus)
- Apathy for the Devil - Nick Kent (Faber and Faber)
- Bad Vibes: Britpop and My Part in Its Downfall - Luke Haines (Heinemann)
- The Celestial Cafe - Stuart Murdoch (Pomona - out soon)
- Delete This at Your Peril: One Man's Fearless Exchanges with Internet Spammers - Bob Servant (Birlinn General)
- Different for Girls - Louise Wener (Ebury Press)
- How I Escaped My Certain Fate - Stewart Lee (Faber & Faber)
- Kill Your Friends - John Niven (CCV)
- The Manual: How to Have a Number One Hit the Easy Way - Bill Drummond (Omnibus)
The book for discussion at Bowlie 2 will be announced in the run up to the event and they will be joined by authors Bob Servan
t who will read from 'Delete This At Your Peril'
and Stuart Murdoch
of Belle & Sebastian who will read from his forthcoming debut 'The Celestial Cafe'.
Space will be limited for the Book Club so anyone who is interested in participating should email firstname.lastname@example.org to register their interest for a Book Club at any of the three events.
Tickets for The Nightmare before Christmas have sold out
Tickets for Bowlie 2 are £165 per person (room only) and £175 for self catering
In Between days: Tickets are £100 per person for the four nights, tickets will be £75 per person for those going to both ATP festivals